Black Heritage Month to begin

By Nissin Behar

“Black History: Not for a Month, Not for a year—for a Lifetime,” is the theme of Black Heritage Month, which begins Wednesday, Feb. 1.

The month will be highlighted with events including the 13th Annual Black Art Show, a play honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. and South African anti-apartheid political activist Steven Biko and the Miss Black NIU African Cultural Pageant.

Van Amos, program coordinator for the Center for Black Studies, said he has seen considerable participation in the events of Black Heritage Month since it began at NIU more than 20 years ago. Amos also said he sees more people wanting to become aware of Black Heritage Month.

Tracy Deis, Black Student Union president, said the group is planning a “Black, Green and Red Day” encouraging students to dress in those colors as an Afro-American symbol. Deis said several videotapes will be shown during February, including footage of Pittsburgh city workers preventing a Ku Klux Klan march in their city.

Morenike Cheatom, NIU minority relations adviser, said the purpose of “Black, Green and Red Day” is to get students to join the celebration.

“It’s kind of like Unity for Diversity Week,” she said. “There are so many things to do—students can’t decide which speakers to go hear.”

Deis said she has posted flyers in the past in an effort to involve more students but added that the flyers were ineffective.

“It’s hard to get students to come out,” she said. “Almost all black students on campus belong to one of the black organizations, but they just don’t attend the guest speaker’s lectures.

“Students should go see speakers because it’s a way of meeting people,” she said.

As part of Black Heritage Month, a “Black Creative Night” will be held. Students can read from books, short stories, poetry or show paintings.

Deis said she hopes a similar creative night will be held in the following weeks.

Black Heritage Month will be celebrated throughout the country by many universities, high schools and grammar schools.

Black Heritage Month was originally known as “Negro History Week,” which began in 1926 as a reaction to American racism, and to defend black humanity.

“This month is a positive exercise in self-definition where we can assess the achievements and gains we have made over the years,” Amos said.

For more information on the events of Black History Month at NIU, contact the Center for Black Studies at 753-1709.