Funds approved to correct inadequate lighting problem

By Joel Guggenheim

NIU President John LaTourette approved funds this month to correct inadequate lighting problems that campus administrators and student leaders identified during a walking tour of the campus last semester.

Intended to identify dimly-lit campus areas requiring renovations, the campus tour consisted of LaTourette, John Dalton, vice-president for student affairs; Lisa Gunn, Student Assocaition welfare adviser; Blanche McHugh, training and student development coordinator; Willie Fowler, resident hall association president and several physical plant employees.

Gunn suggested the tour to LaTourette and Dalton because of specific campus areas she said are “unsafe.”

“There have been no serious problems, but I have a problem with areas on the east side of campus,” she said. “I walk a lot and Lucinda (Avenue) is extremely dark. I don’t feel safe.”

Necessary renovations are categorized as “phases one and current availability of renovation funds.

LaTourette allocated $23,000 for “phase one” lighting additions and repairs for high-traffic campus areas, including the east end of Altgeld and McMurray Halls, the south side of Lucinda Avenue, the ares north of parking lot “O” and south of Neptune Hall, the walkway between Watson and Zulauf Halls, the areas surrounding the Stevens Building and the walkway on Lincoln Terrance.

“These are the ‘hot spots’ that will get immediate attention,” said Service Project Manager Conrad Miller.

“Phase two” renovations include series lighting at the south loop along Castle Drive. These repairs will cost $234,000 plus an additional $50,000 to properly light the bicycle path along the East Lagoon.

Miller added the university is hoping for state allocations – called Build Illinois Funds – designed especially for repairs and moderation of state facilities.

“There are no definite dates set,” Dalton said. “But work is proceeding as soon as possible.”

“Phase one” repairs will probably not begin until late spring or early summer, and will take between two and three months to complete.

Miller said, “Hopefully before the fiscal year ends we will have enough funds to do the job,”

Miller said one concern is whether the university will use mercury vapor or sodium vapor lights. Mercury vapor lights are white and direct, similar to lights used along highways. Sodium vapor lights, which illuminate the East Lagoon, are dimmer than mercury vapor lights and have an orange tone, but encompass a greater area.

“I’m not sure what the cost difference is, but safety is the main concern,” he said.

Dalton said the walking tour was specifically meant to address the lighting problem and no other renovation projects are currently being planned. “We would like to do more (repairs and renovations) but we cannot address them now due to (a lack of) funds.”