SA to address voting districts, group funds

By Holly Schubert

A change in Student Association senate voting districts, administrative decisions involving student groups and group funding are some major issues the SA senate will discuss this semester.

SA Vice President Gregg Bliss said redistricting will be debated in the senate this semester. “There will be a more effective, equitable voting district plan for the next election (in fall 1989),” he said.

The current two-district system has met with criticism because some feel it allows overrepresentation of certain groups, including greeks.

Bliss and former SA Senator Mike Goldstein discussed a proposal last semester that would have divided the off-campus district into two districts. This change would have resulted in fewer senate representatives from the Greek Row area.

Senate Speaker Joe Annunzio said he is considering proposal of a system that would appoint representatives from the Residence Hall Association and the Campus Activities Board to encourage more effective representation.

Bliss said the senate also will discuss the propriety of the administration in making decisions that affect student groups. He said although he does not disagree with the recent decision to eliminate little sister programs on campus, he believes it could set a dangerous precedent.

Bliss said the budget allocation process is always a predominant issue. “Funding is always a three-ring circus,” he said.

A separate governing board for NIU and a possibile student life building also will be topics for discussion among the senate.