Parking Committee calls for meeting before break

By Amanda Martin

The NIU Parking Committee voted Thursday to convene Dec. 8 for a special meeting to consider recommendations of possibly redesignating two campus lots.

The proposed redesignation will affect lot 28, located south of Gabel Hall on Annie Glidden Road, and lot G, located north of the Recreation Center. The changes would cover redesignating lot 28 to allow commuter student parking and lot G to possibly include use by Walk/Bus zone permit holders.

Henry Windsor, a student representative to the parking committee, motioned for the special meeting to convene before the semester break in hopes that if any changes were approved, they could be implemented by next semester.

Windsor said he was concerned about waiting to discuss the proposed changes at the committee’s next regularly scheduled meeting (Jan. 19) for fear that it might postpone the implementation of the changes until mid-spring semster 1989.

“They’re (students are) users of the system, and we don’t give them spaces before 4 p.m. when spaces are sitting there empty,” Windsor said.

Parking Committee Chairman Bob Bornhuetter said the committee would discuss the proposed changes at the Jan. 19 meeting, and if it was concluded that spaces were available, the committee would then make a decision.

The committee also amended and approved a draft recommendation for service and 15-minute loading/unloading zone spaces. Violations for improper use of the spaces will result in a $5 fine. However, heavier fines could be imposed if the committee deems it necessary.

The Service Space Subcommittee proposed that one of each of these spaces be designated outside all campus buildings, with more spaces in high-use areas. However, Steve Lux of the subcommittee said space might not be available outside all campus buildings.

The draft will be forwarded to James Harder, vice president for business and operations, for approval. The committee anticipates implementation of the proposal by Fall 1989.