Residents might ride NIU buses in spring

By Matt James

Sycamore residents might be able to ride the Huskie Line’s route 9 at the beginning of the spring semester if Sycamore completes contracts which have been discussed since July.

The Student Association Mass Transit Board set a Jan. 1 starting date for the contracts at its meeting Monday, but the board is still waiting for Sycamore to review and complete the contracts.

Although the Huskie Line does not offer service during semester breaks, Sycamore residents would be able to purchase $40 bus passes or pay fares starting Jan. 1.

Board chairman Dave Emerick said he expects Sycamore to finish the contracts within two weeks.

Emerick also said Monday that the handicapped-accessible mini-van the board plans to purchase could be on campus by Dec. 7. Although the board is considering daily operating hours for the van next semester, no final decision has been made considering the van’s service.

The board is still waiting for approval from the Illinois legislature for the state to pay for 20 percent of the cost to purchase five new handicapped-accessible vehicles. The Illinois Department of Transportation has approved the board’s bid to purchase the vehicles, which will cost about $800,000. IDOT would fund the additional 80 percent.

Emerick said the end of January is the “target date” for approval of the funding.

He added that the board does not plan to purchase handicapped vehicles from its own budget if the funding falls through.

“Only a handful of students use the service,” he said. “I feel comfortable that the new vehicle will accommodate the needs of NIU’s handicapped students.”