SSU president to resume duties in midst of rumors

By Dina Paluzzi

Durward Long, president of Sangamon State University, resumed his presidential duties Monday in the midst of rumors of “numerous incidents” of sexual harassment.

Long’s return followed a 60-day leave of absence during which he was treated for alcohol abuse.

SSU Student Regent Brian Hopkins said last week that a “prominent Springfield attorney” contacted the Board of Regents saying that an SSU student might file a sexual harassment complaint against Long.

Hopkins said although no complaint has been filed yet, “I have reason to suspect there will be (one).”

Pat Langley, SSU faculty member in women’s studies, distributed letters on SSU’s campus Monday in which she argued the Regents should pursue complaints more vigorously. She stated that she and the students involved are prepared to proceed with a complaint to the Illinois Human Rights Commission.

Langley stated in the letter there were “numerous incidents involving Long.”

Hopkins said a female student approached him with a complaint that Long squeezed her buttocks at an SSU party on Aug. 6.

Regents Chancelor Roderick Groves and Regents Chairman Carol Burns were unavailable for comment.

Wednesday, the SSU News quoted Long as saying, “I, in my own mind, committed no sexual harassment.

“When the real facts are known about the allegations, most of the faculty will think that we (the Board of Regents) have been responsible. I think the press and others ought to ask why this is being done by unidentified allegations and rumors and gossip. It seems to me that solving difficulties by political differences is not right. If there’s a problem, there are means of a solution,” Long said.

Regents member Clara Fitzpatrick said she has not heard of a possibility of charges being filed. Regents might have been contacted, but she has not, she said.

SSU Spokesman Mike Matulis said it would be impossible for him to comment on what the general attitude was surrounding SSU about Long’s return.

Matulis said there have been rumors about sexual harassment, but no charges have been filed.