Regents contacted by prominent attorney

By Dina Paluzzi

The Board of Regents recently was contacted by “a prominent Springfield attorney” saying that a Sangamon State University student might file a sexual harassment complaint against that university’s president, said SSU Student Regent Brian Hopkins.

He said that although no complaint has been filed, “I have reason to suspect there will be.” A student contacted the attorney, Hopkins said.

Regents Chancellor Roderick Groves was not available for comment Wednesday.

On Nov. 7, SSU President Durward Long will resume his duties as president at SSU in Springfield after a 60-day medical leave of absence. Long took the leave, which began Sept. 5, to enter an alcohol abuse treatment program.

Hopkins said it “remains to be seen” whether the return of Long to the SSU presidency was a wise decision. “I’m not sure,” he said.

Hopkins said he received a complaint from a female student that Long allegedly squeezed the student’s buttocks at a university party on Aug. 26. However, no formal complaint was filed.

During a closed meeting Sunday at Illinois State University, Normal, the Regents reviewed the results of the treatment program undertaken by Long, according to a Regents’ news release.

“… We appreciate that public and university confidence has been affected by some of Dr. Long’s health problems and publicity concerning related incidents and alleged behavior. We anticipate that with treatment at one of the nation’s leading programs for alcohol and substance abuse those problems will end,” Regents Chairman Carol Burns states in the release.

Hopkins said he was told that Long completed the treatment program successfully and that Long was a “model patient.”

The Regents’ legal counsel also conducted a week-long inquiry of the sexual harassment and alcohol policies and concerns related to those at SSU.

Hopkins said, “My impression of the report is that a serious problem exists at SSU.”

Hopkins said he was approached by a student who did not understand SSU’s sexual harassment policy. “The current system doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do,” he said.

Under the existing policy, harassment complaints go through an affirmative action officer who acts as ombudsman. “In this case, the officer reports directly to the university,” Hopkins said.