NIU merit scholars will be recognized

By Michelle D. Isaacson

NIU students who have received merit scholarships will be recognized at the Presidential Awards Convocation today in the Holmes Student Center’s Regency Room at 4 p.m.

Marion Miller, director of the University Honors Program, originated the convocation last year. “There is just not enough recognition on campus for people who make outstanding achievements. The convocation is designed to bring recognition to students,” he said.

Merit scholarships are awarded for academic performance without a need component. Miller said eligibility is based mostly on grades. However, student involvement with activities and leadership on the campus is considered.

Nearly 200 NIU students will be recognized for their achievements. The students to be honored include seniors Timothy Esgar, Lisa Galen, Rebecca Martin and Victoria Wagner, who have been named Board of Regents Scholars. This award is based on academic achievement and involvement with activities.

Christine Callahan, Mike Callahan and Tracy Havener will be recognized for their University Honors Fellowships. The requirements for this fellowship include freshman standing, participation in the honors program, scoring 30 or above on the ACT and being in the upper five percent of their high school graduating class. The students who earned this fellowship received full tuition and $600 a year. These freshmen also have a mentor in their major to help them begin advanced studies.

Six new students received University Scholar Awards. The recipients are Danette DeMoss, Stacy Kohn, Corey Mason, Jim Molidor, Barbara Reinert and Cale Steines. University Scholar Awards are for entering students and cover all expenses including tuition, room and board and books.

Other students will be recognized for individual college and departmental scholarships.

Peggy Sullivan, dean of the College of Professional Studies, will deliver the convocation address. “I’m going to talk about excellence, expectations and choices,” she said.