NIU budget to increase by $2 million

By Dina Paluzzi

An extra $2 million will be added to NIU’s budget from the $125 mid-year tuition surcharge students must pay this spring.

NIU’s fiscal year 1989 internal operating budget will total $178 million after the additional revenue is added.

During an Oct. 20 meeting, Regents approved FY89 internal budgets which included the revenue from the surcharges at each Regency school.

A report by Regents Chancellor Roderick Groves states, “Based upon actual fall enrollment data, the funding derived from the second semester tuition is expected to generate an estimated $4.3 million of additional revenues for the Regency system.”

NIU received the second largest portion of the funding. Just more than $2 million was allocated to Illinois State University.

At the meeting, Groves said, “The additional tuition money will be utilized to provide instructional costs.”

Groves’ report states, “The additional Income Fund resources generated by the second semester tuition hike will affect only the appropriated side of university operating budgets.”

0f NIU’s total FY89 internal budget, about $111 million is appropriated.

NIU student Regent Nick Valadez said some of the money is unappropriated to allow flexibility within the budgets.

The report states that the non-appropriated budget is composed of revenue bond operations which include residence halls, the Holmes Student Center and the Recreation Center.

The largest portion of the appropriated money, more than $62 million, is allocated to instruction. The instruction category consists of activities which lead to credit toward a degree or certificate.

The second largest recipient of the money is the physical plant. More than $14 million is allotted for the operation and maintenance of the plant. The report describes the operations as “activities established to preserve campus grounds and facilities.”

The report also states that the surcharge approved by the Regents in September “was designed to partially alleviate funding shortfalls which resulted from failure of the General Assembly to enact a tax increase during its spring session.”