CAB to hold open house for students

By Amanda Martin

The NIU Campus Activities Board is inviting all interested students to its annual open house Oct. 18 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the CAB’s Holmes Student Center offices.

CAB Public Relations Coordinator Julie Gwiasda said the open house is a great opportunity for students to “find out what the university has to offer and take advantage of those things.”

CAB works in conjunction with University Programming and Activities to sponsor films, concerts, speakers, recreational classes and various university special events, such as Parents’ Weekend and Comedy Week. The board also coordinated the upcoming Smithereens concert and this year’s Homecoming activities.

With the diverse number of sponsored events, CAB has much to offer students in the way of coordinator and committee positions. These positions provide excellent opportunities for developing organizational and communication skills, as well as business skills, Gwiasda said.

There are 13 CAB coordinator positions, including public and corporate relations, advertising, films, concerts, festivals and speakers, each with full committees. “We’re always looking for people who are willing to help or want to join a committee,” Gwiasda said.

Students will be able to sign up for committee work and will be able to find out more about applying for coordinator positions at next Tuesday’s open house. Gwiasda also said internship credit is availble for students who work as CAB coordinators.

CAB was established two years ago, replacing the Holmes Center Board. CAB Adviser Renee Baldwin said CAB was the product of a merger between the Holmes Center Board and Student Association Programming. “The two were merged to be more efficient financially and more diverse in programming.”