Schools nationwide unite to gain alcohol awareness

By Suzanne Tomse

NIU will be joining with other universities around the country to participate in National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week, which runs today through Friday.

“We want to raise the awareness of alcohol abuse and encourage students to participate in BACCHUS,” said Joanna Deuth of Health Enhancement Services.

BACCHUS, which stands for Boost Alcohol Consciousness Concerning the Health of University Students, recently became “revitalized” at NIU, said BACCHUS member Leslie Wegworth, undergraduate greek adviser on alcohol.

BACCHUS is a not-for-profit organization with chapters throughout the country and will be sponsoring some of the events throughout the week along with Health Enhancement Services, the residence halls and other NIU organizations.

Wegworth said BACCHUS wants to stress alcohol awareness, responsible drinking and safety when drinking and driving.

Today’s alcohol awareness events include poster displays, a banner contest and a “mocktail bar” before the Smithereens concert from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Health Enhancement Services booth in the Holmes Student Center. The bar will serve free non-alcoholic drinks, Deuth said.

Other events today include two presentations, “Sex, Alcohol and Singles” at 9 p.m at the Delta Upsilon fraternity, and basic alcohol information at 9:45 p.m at the Alpha Delta Pi sorority.

On Tuesday, a teleconference about the problem of alcohol abuse on university campuses and possible solutions is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Neptune Central southeast meeting room, and from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the B formal lounge of Grant Towers South. The teleconference will be transmitted live by satellite and participants will be able to phone in with questions.

The morning program, led by Michael Haines, Health Enhancement Services coordinator, will be aimed at faculty, staff, administrators and campus health professionals.

The evening program, which is open to the public, will be aimed at students and will address views about alcohol abuse.

On Wednesday, a BACCHUS bar, serving free non-alcoholic drinks, will be set up at the student recreation center from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m and a non-alcoholic piano bar will be held at 9 p.m in Neptune Central. In addition, Health Enhancement Services will present “Athletes, Alcohol and Drugs” in DuSable Hall, room 120, at 7:30 p.m., Deuth said.

Thursday’s events include a blood-alcohol-level demonstration presented by DeKalb Police Detective Bill Feithen at 1 p.m. outside the student center. Deuth said the demonstration might feature NIU “celebrities” such as SA president Paula Radtke.

“Alcohol Abuse and How it Effects the Lives of Students” will be presented this Thursday at 7 p.m. in the B conference room of Lincoln Hall, Deuth said.

She said the banners, which will be displayed in the student center’s Pow Wow room, will be judged Friday at 2 p.m. The winner will receive a $50 prize.

Wegworth said BACCHUS is open to any interested NIU student, and its next meeting is Oct. 26 at 6 p.m. in the student center.