Huskie buses can make traveling more enjoyable

No, I’m not paying up on a favor I owe, and I’m not trying to schmooze anyone. But I really have to give three cheers to the Student Association Mass Transit Board and the Huskie Bus Line.

On a cold and rainy day like Monday, I rode the early a.m. number 2 bus wondering what to write about. (Seldom am I at a loss for words, so I was beginning to get nervous.) As we, the usual 8 a.m. crew, rode the bus, we talked about last night’s activities and laughed and joked.

We’re really sort of getting to know each other. It’s even gotten to the point where I sort of regret over-sleeping in the morning because I miss my friends and my favorite bus driver.

Between the passengers and bus drivers, there is always someone on the bus to strike up an interesting conversation with.

This got me thinking about how enjoyable my bus rides have been this semester and what a great alternative the bus is to trying to park my car on campus or walk.

Many NIU students do not realize what a rarity we have here in our busing system.

In fact, if it weren’t for the students on the SAMTB, there would not be a Huskie bus to take you from point A to point B. In fact, there would not be any kind of bus.

Two years ago I lived in Tempe, Ariz., home of Arizona State University. When I got there, I asked myself, “Doesn’t this town have buses? Why not? NIU has them.

It was not until last year that I learned the Huskie Bus Line is one of only three bus services run by and for the students in the whole U.S. of A. That’s pretty impressive.

Some argue that we don’t need the buses. But it’s beyond me why people want to pay $30 and up for a parking sticker to drive to campus (and then maybe not even get a parking space) when they could take the Huskie bus already paid for in student fees.

Just think, all you blood-thirsty drivers who swarm the parking lots just waiting for someone else to pull out so you can slide your car into that space—you could ride the bus and not worry about driving in unwanted traffic.

You can read the paper, drink your coffee, put your make-up on, eat breakfast, do your homework, or whatever while you ride.

Of course, I usually find a way to do some of these tasks while I drive anyway. So anyone on the road will be glad to know I’m taking the bus this semester.

I can’t imagine driving to school when I know the other option—old number 2.

Last fall, I dreaded driving to campus, because like most, I would arrive two decades before my classes started, hover in the parking lot until someone pulled out and I could scoot in.

I have actually seen fist fights take place over who gets a spot.

On the other hand, we have the opportunity to ride on the Huskie bus, enjoy some good conversation and often find ourselves with a chance to meet people instead of fight with them.

A 28-page bus schedule produced by the SAMTB states the system is the second largest in the state, second only to the Chicago Transit Authority.

The SAMTB controls and allocates a total of $1.2 million of student fees. Quite a chunk!

The schedule is so detailed that it provides a map of each route on a separate page, and lists the stops and times of stops on the opposite page. The time and effort put into this schedule alone shows the professional way in which this system is run.

But the system does not benefit students only, low fees and bus passes are available to the community.

The plusses are endless. I never again want to hear anyone complain about the lack of parking facilities on campus when this valuable service is at our disposal.

We are actually very spoiled with our bus system and should appreciate it. Especially on days like Monday.