Funds needed for corridor

By Elizabeth M. Behland

Unless adequate state funding is available, NIU will not be able to provide technological education through a multi-university in the DuPage County research and development corridor.

NIU Provost Kendall Baker said the concept of a “multi-university has been discussed for some time.”

Baker said a proposed high-tech campus would consist of many Illinois colleges and universities providing scientific and technological education at the College of DuPage.

“The idea is we (the colleges and universities) would all be working together to educate the DuPage (County) area,” he said.

Thomas Montiegel, NIU Development and University Relations vice president, said the Illinois Institute of Technology located in Chicago, has received a private donation to begin construction of the first college building in the corridor. However, he said NIU will not be able to add more education in the corridor until state funding is available.

“We’ve (NIU) been trying to get more funding” to offer more education in the DuPage County corridor, Montiegel said.

Baker said, “We (NIU), of course, are always seeking external funding of all varieties. We hope to get a signicant gift to help on-and off-campus.”

Montiegel said although IIT already has arrangements for constructing the first building in the high-tech campus, “There is enough business out there for everyone.”

NIU has future plans to incorporate engineering courses, computer science courses and selected topics from continuing professional development, Montiegel said.

Baker said, “We already have extensive off campus programs in the Western suburbs right now. It is not as though we are not involved (in off campus education).

“When and if we are able to do that (participate in a multi-university) is not clear at this time,” Baker said. He said IIT is constructing a building because it was given the “grounds and location” to do so.

Baker said, “The multi-university center really has not gotten off the ground because of the absence of resources.” He said NIU has its own “mission or obligation” to provide off-campus education.

Montiegel said NIU involvement in the multi-university center will “benefit the (DuPage County) area primarily. If they (potential students) are really going to have a high-tech education they need higher education,” as well as vocational.

He said NIU should be involved in the high-tech campus because many NIU students come from the DuPage County area.

“Our (NIU) charge is to serve northern Illinois,” Montiegel said.