Students write letters expressing concern

By Joel Guggenheim

The issue of insufficient handicap transportation at NIU was addressed recently when about 200 letters of complaint were delivered to Dave Emerick, Student Association Mass Transit Adviser.

Elliott Lessen, associate professor of special education, and his EPSE 200 class (Exceptional Persons in Society) wrote letters to Emerick expressing their discontent with the busing situation for disabled students.

Lessen said, “The letters were written so the mass transit board and TRANSVAC, will be more aware of this problem.”

TRANSVAC, a transportation service for disabled people, operates from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on weekdays, 12 noon to 11 p.m. on Saturdays and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sundays. This limits the accessibility of school buildings and other facilities on the campus to the disabled.

“Any able-bodied student can choose to walk to class or take a bus almost any time of day. That option is not open to the handicapped and that is discrimination,” Lessen said.

Emerick said he was upset by the influx of letters because they “contained no facts” and all their information came from a Northern Star article. The Sept. 20 article discussed the transportation problems disabled students have in getting to their classes.

“People accuse the transit board of being uncompassionate and it’s not true,” Emerick said. “Unfortunately, we must look at costs, and any sensible person should realize that.”

Steve Coloia, senior teacher’s assistant for EPSE 200, replied, “They (students) know the work Elliott has done with the disabled and they believe in him. Those students who wrote letters sincerely want a remedy to the dilemma.”

However, one solution is in the works. Emerick said the Illinois Department of Transportation has approved 20 percent funding for five, wheel chair-equipped buses and the SA transit board is waiting for state approval to provide a matching 20 percent of the cost. If approved this month, Emerick said the buses should be running at NIU in seven months.