Fine Arts Series offers discounts

By Joel Guggenheim

NIU’s Fine Arts Series is offering subscription savings for its upcoming 1988-1989 season.

“Students can see great acts for $4 or $5 for which they would normally have to pay $20 or $25 in Chicago,” Michelle Emmett, NIU director of programming and activites, said. “This gives them the opportunity to see performing arts not ordinarily available to them due to high ticket costs.”

Students, faculty and the general public can enjoy top-name entertainment for prices not offered anywhere else in the area.

Emmett said the series is funded through the NIU Student Association as well as a National Endowment for the Arts. This allows the committee to bill fine performers and artists, yet charge low ticket prices.

Subscription costs are: NIU students, $20; non-NIU students and senior citizens, $30; NIU faculty, staff and parents of NIU students, $40; and general public, $50.

Non-subscribers also can see shows for a low, general admission cost.

Some of the acts booked for performances from October through April, 1989, include the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra with Buddy Morrow, B. B. King, the musical play “42nd Street,” Leon Golub’s paintings and prints and Corky Siegal and Chamber Blues, as well as other fine performances.

For more information, call 753-1421, or visit the University Programming and Activities office on the 6th floor of the Holmes Student Center.