Survey results represent views or gender equality

By Michelle Isaacson

Results of three surveys conducted by NIU’s Commission on the Status of Women have not shown feelings of gender inequality in the workplace among most female NIU faculty members.

NIU President John LaTourette said the results of the “Gender-Related Problems of Tenure and Tenure-Track Women” surveys that were conducted in 1984, 1985 and 1986 revealed that most NIU female faculty members polled did not believe they were treated unfairly because of their gender.

LaTourette said the women who thought there were problems were concerned with assignments in the academic departments such as unequal teaching and advising loads.

LaTourette said, “It is hard to examine these problems because having more time doesn’t produce more research, and teaching seminars would require more research.”

He said most faculty believe that research and publications hold more weight than advising and teaching assignments.

A more accurate reading of what is going on in departments is necessary to evaluate any problems, LaTourette said. Since assignments are individual, it is difficult to have one single criterion with which to compare faculty members.

LaTourette said, “The basic conclusion is departments’ chairs who are most familiar (with load assignments) should make a greater effort to achieve consistency and equality.”

Faculty reports are made every semester by the department chairman.

LaTourette said, “We (NIU) have made a very conscious effort with the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women to promote hiring and advancement of women.”

Laura Frankiewicz, a member of the commission and last year’s chairman, said, “The commission is concerned that female entry level assistant professors get the same encouragement as male assistant professors would.” She said there should be the same number of female and male associate and full professors.