Scholars exempt from surcharge

By Dina Paluzzi

Students with full Illinois State Scholarship Commission Monetary Award Program scholarships will not be required to pay the $125 tuition surcharge for the spring 1989 semester.

The Board of Regents Chancellor’s report stated that the increase would be waived for students who receive financial aid through the program.

Rich Lazarski, NIU associate director for finance and planning, said the surcharge will not be treated any differently than if it were a straight tuition increase, except that NIU will waive the $125 increase for students who have a full scholarship.

NIU Financial Aid Director Jerry Augsburger said that, due to insufficiency of the MAPS scholarship fund to cover the cost of last spring’s $150 tuition increase, NIU administrators decided the university would pick up the costs of the increase for students with full MAP scholarships. Augsburger said the same will apply for the spring 1989 semester.

Students who are receiving partial MAPS scholarships will receive compensation for the increase on a pro-rated basis, Augsburger said. Lazarski said the amount of the tuition increase paid will be based on a ratio of the amount of the scholarship.

Augsburger said he did not know whether tuition waivers and scholarships other than the MAPS would include this policy.

The surcharge is applied to all full-time undergraduate and graduate students at NIU, Illinois State University and Sangamon State University. The charge is applied on a pro-ratio basis for part-time students.