Students’ return has good, bad effects on community

By Suzanne Tomse

When about 26,000 students return to DeKalb for the fall semester, the community members learn to take the good with the bad.

NIU’s returning students have an overall positive impact on the city despite some increases in traffic and other police-related activities, DeKalb Mayor Greg Sparrow said.

“I think the community is ready for it—ready for the break in inactivity,” he said. “By far and away, the good outweighs the bad.”

Sparrow said when the fall semester begins, the activity level of the city rises, which in turn increases traffic problems.

Lt. Charles Beierlotzer, operations commander of the DeKalb police, said the students’ return has a definite impact on DeKalb traffic.

“The streets become more congested and there is a heavier volume (of traffic). We see a much larger number of accidents because people are not as patient,” he said.

Beierlotzer said the traffic problems are the worst during the first week of the students’ return.

He said although the police department does not have extra manpower to handle the heavier volume, the structure of the department enables the police to accommodate more traffic calls during the school year.

Sparrow said the students’ return also increases other police-related activities such as noise violations and parties. He said these activities increase especially during the first weekend because students are not “ready to hit the books yet.”

However, Sparrow said the students’ return also impacts on the community positively by increasing the retail base.

“The students have a positive impact on our traffic flow. We’re glad to have them back,” Jerry Tombleson, manager of Walmart, said. Tombleson said Walmart also employs a lot of NIU students, as well as other DeKalb residents.

Sparrow said the beginning of fall semester also benefits the community in other ways such as providing bus transportation to DeKalb residents through the Huskie busline and offering more music and cultural shows and programs at NIU.