Alumni to participate in student career day

By Dina Paluzzi

Junior business majors will get a taste of the “real world” from NIU alumni at the annual College of Business Career Day to give them career advice and information.

The Career Day, sponsored by the Career Advisory Board, will be held Sept. 14 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center.

Bonnie Ward, coordinator of the event, said it is required for all students taking five principal business classes to attend the day. She said the principal classes will be canceled for the day so students can attend the event. The College of Business believes attendance at the event is worthwhile enough to cancel the classes, she said.

Two optional workshops have been added to the agenda for the first time, Ward said. Topics during the first session include preparation for graduate work, the value of clubs and organizations and internship experience.

Gary Scott, director of Career Planning and Placement, will give a presentation on services available through CP&A at the second session.

Four panelists from major firms in Chicago will speak on trends in the industry, Ward said. Following the panelists’ presentations will be a question and answer session.

The students will break into groups of 40 to 50 students to meet with alumni, Ward said. The alumni will give students advice such as recommending organizations to join, and classes and internships to take, she said.

There will be four sessions throughout the day for students to meet with alumni, Ward said.