NIU tuition likely to rise in spring

By Dina Paluzzi

A $125 tuition increase for the spring 1989 semester probably will be approved by the Board of Regents Thursday, a Regent’s member said.

Regents Chancellor Roderick Groves will recommend the increase to the Regents at Thursday’s board meeting in the Holmes Student Center.

Regent Brewster Parker said an increase is being considered because the state legislature voted down a general funds tax increase for fiscal year 1989, and there is a lack of state monetary aid.

Parker said the increase will be discussed “extensively” and probably will be “voted through.”

The increase would raise NIU tuition from $732 to $857 for full-time undergraduates. Tuition at Illinois State University and Sangamon State University, which also are governed by the Regents, also would increase by $125.

The total NIU tuition cost for 1988-89, including $555 in fees, will be $2,114 if the proposal is passed.

The majority of the increase will provide for 39 undergraduate course sections, an additional 54 course sections for the spring semester to alleviate some of the backlog of course demand and funding for faculty appointments in the colleges of business and engineering. Monies also will go toward maintaining library holdings and funding to improve minority student retention.

NIU tuition was increased $150 in the spring of 1988 because of the lack of state funding for higher education.

Regents also will vote Thursday on a recommendation of more than $10 million in funding for FY90 for NIU program and institutional support. Included are recommendations of $1 million for research equipment and $835,000 for the operation and maintenance of the physical plant.