Overseas studies popular

By Lynn Hammarstrom

Contemporary Theatre in Great Britain, Outdoor Education in Hawaii, Industry and Technology in Brazil. These are just some of the courses offered to students by NIU’s Foreign Studies Program.

A large number of NIU students take advantage of this program, said an International Studies spokesperson who did not wish to be identified.

In fact “the program is ranked sixth in the nation for the number of students sent abroad annually by the Institute of International Education, only two students behind the University of Massachusetts,” NIU’s [[ws]]Northern Today reported on June 27.

“I think a number of students want to go to Europe,” the spokesperson said, explaining the program’s popularity. “And through our program, students from NIU and other universities can receive college credit.”

The program offers students programs in a number of countries.

The two most chosen nations are Austria, where students can study European studies or photography in Salzburg, and France where French studies and internships are offered in Aix-en-Provence, Avignon and Paris.

Courses range from general studies to instruction in specific areas, and generally include a foreign language course.

“The students usually are placed in family homes, where they can be exposed to the country’s language not only in classrooms but also in daily conversation,” the spokesperson said.

Even students studying in English-speaking Australia are required to take German language classes.

The students are tested for their language competency once they reach their destination, the spokesperson said. Then they are placed in the appropriate beginning, intermediate or advanced classes.

The programs range from one semester to a full year in length.

“We’ve had quite a few students who originally choose the semester program and then love it so much that they write to us and ask to stay the full year,” the spokesperson said.

Requirements for the programs vary from country to country, but the minimum grade point average needed for eligibility is a 2.5, the spokesperson said.

Cost also differs for each program. NIU scholarships and financial aid are accepted as part of the payments for each program.