Protestors march to show solidarity

By Mike Solley

About 25 students marched to the CHANCE office July 13 to show their solidarity in demanding an explanation for the firing of CHANCE counselor Martha Palmer.

Protester Jim Fabris said the group had gathered to “protest the firing of Martha Palmer and cover-up of the university on the reasons why.” Fabris accused the NIU administration of using “divide and conquer tactics” to repress minorities and women.

The protestors, some of whom were counselled by Palmer, marched to CHANCE Director Leroy Mitchell’s office, carrying placards that read “Why does the KKK have free speech but Martha Palmer does not,” and “I believe in Martha.”

Mitchell confronted the marchers when they arrived but said he could not discuss the reasons for firing Palmer. He also said he could not reveal why Palmer herself has not been given an explanation.

Although he said he understood the students’ anger, Mitchell said he “was not here to make students happy. We’re (CHANCE) here to do a job.”

“I do the hiring, I do the firing,” Mitchell said.

Palmer, who was in her office when the marchers arrived, said she was “shocked” by the show of support. She said it was encouraging to see students expressing themselves.

“It’s unfortunate that something like this is what brought everybody together,” Palmer said.

Palmer denied that she was leaving NIU for another position at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, even though a CHANCE receptionist had said Palmer “is no longer with us.”

“She (the receptionist) got Martha confused with a financial aid counselor,” Mitchell said. He said the confusion was a mistake that was being corrected.

The marchers directed most of their concerns at Mitchell, but NIU Provost Kendall Baker also was the target of some discontent. Protestors carried signs which read “…fire Provost Baker.” They also suggested a direct confrontation with Baker, who directly oversees the Office of Special Projects, of which CHANCE is a part.

Baker could not be reached for comment.

Palmer was notified in June that her contract will not be renewed past its December 1988 expiration date. Dismissal of the popular counselor has evoked much concern among students who consider her one of the better counselors in the CHANCE program.

A committee of students, faculty and staff has since formed to protest Palmer’s firing and to try to get Palmer her job back.

CHANCE is a program which recruits and counsels students who otherwise do not meet NIU’s regular admission requirements.

The program also has come under fire recently because of its low retention rate.

More than 80 percent of CHANCE students either drop out or fail.