Counselor’s contract will not be renewed

By Mike Solley

“It’s unfair”… a “travesty,” and “hypocritical.”

More than 40 NIU students, staff and faculty members expressed those sentiments July 7 as they met to discuss the dismissal of CHANCE counselor Martha Palmer.

Palmer, a counselor for four years, was notified two weeks ago that her contract will not be renewed past its December 1988 expiration.

The main item on the meeting’s agenda was the apparent lack of reasons given by administrators for Palmer’s dismissal. Palmer said she “has been given no reason as yet” explaining why she has been dismissed.

NIU officials have not disclosed details concerning the reasoning behind the dismissal.

Tendaji Ganges, director of Special Projects, said the dismissal was “confidential and about personnel. I’m not at liberty to discuss it,” he said.

CHANCE Director LeRoy Mitchell refused to comment.

Although the John Lennon Society organized the meeting, JLS member Jim Fabris said he did not want the meeting to become associated with any one group. The persons assembled represent “a coalition of students working to get Martha her job back and work for the ideas she promoted,” Fabris said.

Those in attendance at the meeting agreed about praising Palmer for her “professionalism” and dedication to her job and to students.

Foreign language Professor Monique LeMaitre said she admired Palmer for her “guts.”

“I’ve never seen anyone defend the rights of students as Martha has done,” she said.

NIU junior Kim Akins referred to Palmer as “a mother figure,” and commended Palmer for her dedication and counseling commitment.

Those attending the meeting expressed concern that Palmer’s dismissal came after she spoke at the Day of Action rally April 13 and criticized NIU’s minority policies.

The administration is “killing Martha just when she had something to say,” LeMaitre said.

Fabris said Palmer’s dismissal makes Unity in Diversity, NIU’s anti-racist theme, “hypocritical.” He complained that a minority counselor is released just as university administrators are talking about unity and equality.

Palmer did not attend the meeting, saying she wanted to maintain a “professional distance” from students when they act of their own accord.

“I appreciate that the students are standing up in support. I hope they will continue to speak their minds (on all issues),” Palmer said.