JLS protest while ROTC parachutes

By Suzanne Tomse

While ROTC rangers rappelled off Huskie Stadium and three members of Company B 12th Battalion Special Forces Group (Airborne) parachuted to the ground Thursday, a vigil and demonstration was held by the John Lennon Society.

“We’re here to demonstrate the militarization of this campus,” JLS member Marna Coldwater said. However, she said the group is not against any individual ROTC member. Coldwater said the demonstrators were also there to recognize American and Central American people who were killed in Central America.

ROTC Cadet Ben Schaefer said he does not think NIU’s campus has become militarized. “It’s a good thing that they protested because it is their right, but they took up our time,” he said.

Before ROTC rangers rappelled from the stadium, the demonstrators prayed for American soldiers and civilians killed over the past five years in Central America. “We’re here in remembrance of our ideals and the purpose of our country … for freedom and justice of all people,” said Eric Dale, Campus Minister of United Campus Ministries.

After the group held a moment of silence, the ROTC rangers began rappelling, and the special forces members parachuted from helicopters. The rappelling and parachuting display were part of this week’s ROTC Awareness Week in Illinois, which was proclaimed by Gov. James Thompson on Jan. 28. Parachuters included Lt. Rich Gomaz, Staff Sgt. Gary Hoffman and Staff Sgt. Dan Villano.

While the ROTC activities continued admist a crowd of more than 100 people, JLS members read the names of Americans who were killed in Central America. “We’re here to expose the fact that these people (ROTC members) are not here for fun, they’re here training to carry out war,” JLS member Tom Rainey said.

DeKalb resident Dori Burg also demonstrated at the event. “Gov. Thomspon wants you to invade Central America,” stated a sign Burg was holding. She said, “They’re killing peasants and poor little children over there.” Burg said her father was one of two men who brought the signal across during World War II.

Student Association President Jim Fischer also attended the vigil and ROTC display. “I wanted to see everything that was going on,” he said. Fischer said he found it “interesting” that the army was on campus.

Fischer said because university resources are supporting the ROTC program, he hopes other programs, such as a minor in peace studies, could be developed as well. “The university should strive to present knowledge in other areas,” he said.