Tenth annual Spring Fest begins Friday

By Stephanie Bradley

Coming up is NIU’s annual reminder that the school year is almost over—Spring Fest, April 22 through April 31.

Every April for the past 10 years, the Campus Activities Board and other NIU organizations have sponsored week-long activities to celebrate spring. This year’s theme is “Fiesta”, said CAB Spring Fest Coordinator Toni Warbyla.

The week kicks off Friday with mud volleyball at the West Lagoon, sponsored by CAB and Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity. Prizes will be awarded to the surviving teams.

The spring intersquad football game on Saturday will come complete with the NIU Marching Band, cheerleaders, Silverettes and mascot Victor E. Huskie, Warbyla said.

The game will start off with the traditional tailgating from 10 a.m. until the 2 p.m. kickoff time, she said.

The Office of Campus Recreation is sponsoring the Springtree Run, which will include three and 10 kilometer runs on Sunday, Warbyla said.

The weekdays will have a number of activities for students to participate in while not in class. “Nooners,” concerts at noon, are scheduled during the week.

“There will be bands performing in the King Memorial Commons if the weather is good and in the Pow Wow room of the Holmes Student Center if it isn’t,” Warbyla said.

In addition to the noon concert, three additional activities are scheduled for Wednesday. NIU’s Pre-Professional Association will sponsor “Dunking for Doughnuts” starting at 11 a.m., Warbyla said. This contest also will be held on Thursday and Friday, she said.

The Glazer Water Gun Contest also is scheduled on Wednesday from 1:30 to 4 p.m. and a sneak preview of “Dead Heat,” starring Joe Piscopo, will be shown at the Sandburg Auditorium in the student center at 8 p.m., Warbyla said.

Thursday night will feature comedian David Naster in Diversions in the student center at 9 p.m., Warbyla said.

Saturday’s Spring Fest events begin at 9 a.m. with the Women’s Athletics “Stride for Huskie Pride” Walk-A-Thon, Warbyla said.

Also on Saturday is “A Day in the Park,” the annual Spring Fest final celebration featuring bands at the East Lagoon from noon until about 5 p.m., Warbyla said. OCR equipment can be rented at the lagoon, she said.

Saturday night will bring the Residence Hall Association’s annual Dance Party at 9 p.m. in the Stevenson Towers South cafeteria, Warbyla said.

NIU’s greeks also will be having activities of their own, Warbyla said. A tug-of-war will be held April 25 through April 29 and bicycle races will be held on April 30 at 9 a.m., she said.

“Almost Anything Goes” will be held on an obstacle course near the Stadium at 10:30 a.m., she said.

Members of other Illinois universities said they plan activities in spring as well.

WIU has their third annual West Fest, said Howard Barr, Performing Arts coordinator for the University Union Board Pop Concerts. Their program runs on one day, April 23, from noon to 10 p.m., he said.

WIU’s festival includes seven musical performances with a different band every hour from noon to 7 p.m., Twister games and a piano smash, Parr said. Other groups also participate, he said.

Beth Werths of SIU’s Office of Student Development said SIU also has a special day for activities on April 30. SIU has a cardboard boat regatta on Campus Lake and the main campus has bands, carnival rides, food booths and games of chance, she said.

EIU has the “Campus Bash to Master the Past” on the last day of classes, May 6, said Carol Klingel, EIU’s vice chairman of the University Board. EIU’s program has a band, a mime and a booth where students can sing along to original music, she said. Prizes also will be given away and there will be two showings of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.