Leaders oppose enactment of bill

By Suzanne Tomse

Some community and student leaders oppose a bill which would require state universities to submit lists of registered voters in residence halls to the county clerk’s office.

Sixth Ward Alderman Steve Brody said there are two legal problems with House Bill 3160, which is being co-sponsored by Rep. Myron Olson, R-Dixon, and Rep. John Countryman, R-DeKalb.

Brody said the bill violates an Illinois election law which allows voters to legally change their address within two years if they move within the same precinct.

He said the law is “probably unconstitutional” because it singles out one group for special treatment under the registration laws.

He said it appears as if Countryman is introducing the bill to “try to get students out of the ballot box” because he has not taken a stand on higher education issues such as adequate funding.

Countryman said the bill would update the “tremendous” voter registration lists which are currently outdated. “Does Brody want students to vote illegally?” he asked.

Countryman said the bill would be similar to the rooming house law in which lists of residents are required to be submitted to the county clerk to match addresses. He said if addresses do not match, the residents are given notice to change their addresses on their voter registration card.

NIU Student Regent Nick Valadez said, “I don’t understand why Countryman would propose legislation which discriminates against thousands of his constituents.” He said the bill is “constitutionally offensive.”

Brody and Valadez said they did not discuss the bill with Countryman.

“That is part of the problem,” Brody said. “(Countryman) did not discuss it with any student members of the city council or the Student Association. It seems he did not discuss it with anyone.

“We want to let him know that he did not sneak this by. We’re watching what he’s doing.”

If the list is not submitted to the county clerk by Sept. 30, students who need to correct their addresses might not have enough time to re-register, Brody said.

Countryman said if the lists are submitted before the close of registration, the students should have “ample” time to re-register.