Hopefuls given election rules

By Christine Boike

The Student Association elections commissioner Monday addressed the eight candidates running for SA executive positions.

Doug Moore, elections commissioner, informed the candidates of guidelines to follow prior to and during election days.

The elections commissioner “makes sure the elections run smoothly” and fairly, Moore said. The primary responsibility is to impose sanctions on candidates if they are in violation of any bylaws, he said.

He said the bylaws are “ambiguous” so the sanctions are up to his discretion. If a candidate disagrees with a decision, he can appeal to the five-member elections commission.

Moore said candidates must be fee-paying NIU students and also must be in good academic standing.

Presidential candidates are Joseph Annunzio, Dale Bradley, Dan Donnelly and Paula Radtke. Vice presidential candidates are Gregg Bliss and Ed Gil. Candidates vieing for treasurer are Roger Beith and Diana Turowski.

The candidates are allowed one banner on campus which “does include Huskie buses,” Moore said.

Candidates are not permitted to campaign within 100 feet of the polling areas or on Huskie buses, and they cannot post fliers in polling buildings during election days, Moore said.

On elections days, no chalk campaigning messages are permitted on the King Memorial Commons grounds and candidates “can’t be in a university building handing out flyers,” Moore said.

Independent candidates are limited to $500 spending on campaigns and a two-person slate is limited to $700, he said.

Moore said the candidates must submit spending receipts before the election because it is “important to protect the integrity of the elections.”

SA Vice President Cam Davis said if a candidate is in violation of the spending limits, the candidate is fined three times the amount he exceeds. The money would be deposited into the SA general account, he said.

Donnelly asked Moore about the absentee ballot policy. He said voters should “prove that they’re away” or candidates could bring supporters to the SA office and request absentee ballots prior to election.

Davis said he would ask the SA Supreme Court about the issue.

Two potential candidates, Residence Hall Association President Willie Fowler and RHA Vice President Rob Arrington, were disqualified from the election because they submitted their petitions 18 minutes after the 4:30 deadline, Moore said.

The elections will be held March 29 and 30 from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center, DuSable Hall and the Founders Memorial Library.

Today at 8 p.m. in Diversions, the candidates will answer questions posed by Black Student Union President Pam Bozeman, SA Supreme Court Justice Jim Schneider and Northern Star Editor Dave Duschene. Audience questions will be answered after the debate.