Board OKs academic, renovation plans

By M. Michelle Byrne and Suzanne Tomse

The Board of Regents Thursday approved NIU’s proposed academic and capital improvement plans for next year, even though four members did not attend the meeting.

The capital improvement plans approved by the Regents include the renovation of the exterior of the Holmes Student Center and plans to increase parking on campus. The cost of the student center project is estimated at $1,995,000, NIU President John LaTourette’s report to the board stated.

The estimated cost of the parking expansion project, which will provide an additional 810 spaces throughout campus, is estimated at $1,250,000, the report stated.

The Regents did not discuss whether or not the capital improvement projects would increase student fees. However, LaTourette’s report stated the funding for the projects would come from revenue bonds which are supported partly by student fees.

The four Regents not attending the meeting were D. Brewster Parker, Sylvia Nichols, Clara Fitzpatrick and James Wright. Sangamon State University President Durward Long also was not at the meeting.

Renovation of the student center, which will include brick removal and replacement, might begin in August, said James Harder, interim vice president for business and operations. The project also might include the replacement of the building’s windows and the construction of a structure to protect mechanical equipment on top of the tower.

An academic plan to terminate NIU’s interdisciplinary Bachelor’s of Science degree in Social Sciences was approved by the board. NIU concluded the degree was not serving the purpose of the students, and too few students were finishing the program because they transferred to other cooperating departments, the president’s report stated.

The Regents also approved academic plans including faculty morale improvement, expansion of off-campus programs, increased minority access, better management of undergraduate and graduate programs and more faculty research.

In addition, the plan includes undergraduate program maintenance and development, increased activity in affirmative action and integration of campus initiatives, the Regents report stated.

LaTourette said the academic plans were developed by the NIU’s academic planning committee which consists of faculty, staff, administrators and students and were based on university-wide decisions.