UC will take action on Athletic Board proposal

By Sean Noble

The University Council will take action today on a proposal calling for a reduction in the size of the NIU Athletic Board from 34 to 20 members.

UC Executive Secretary Judy Bischoff said council members will vote on the Rules and Governance Committee suggestion to cut the board’s size for increased efficiency.

Linda Sons, UC member and chairman of the committee, said her group’s recommendation is based on a national survey of 27 colleges and universities.

She said the reduction also would bring the board into National Collegiate Athletic Association standards, which require a majority of the board’s members to be faculty or administrative persons.

The recommendation has sparked a number of amendment proposals, including some from NIU President John LaTourette, Student Association President Jim Fischer and the board itself. Bischoff said these amendments also will be voted upon at the meeting.

The council will meet at 3 p.m. in the Clara Sperling Skyroom of the Holmes Student Center.

The council also will act upon proposed draft calendars for NIU academic years through the year 2003, Bischoff said. She said the University Affairs Committee developed these calendars and several proposed changes in the calendar guidelines.

Bischoff said the meeting will allow council members the chance to discuss revisions for bylaw article eight and a bylaw proposal for student grievance procedures by Fischer and Dan Greenwood, another council student representative.

Time limitations restricted council discussion of these proposals at two previous bylaw review meetings, she said.