Night ride service to include faculty, staff

By Dina Paluzzi

A stipulation to allow only fee-paying students to ride the late night ride service, which operates in conjunction with the University Police, was revised by the Student Association Mass Transit Board Chairman Thursday to allow faculty and staff members also to use the service.

At the March 21 meeting, the board approved the service for student use only. The service begins April 1 and continues until May 6 and provides rides from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. Thursday through Saturday on a demand/response basis.

Board member Mike Cassman, who is on the ride service subcommittee, said UP Captain James Webster said the UP department would not support the service if it does not include faculty and staff.

“He sees it as a community service,” Cassman said.

Board Chairman Phil Kessler said at Monday’s board meeting he had to make a decision for the board allowing faculty and staff to use the service.

“We need their help,” Kessler said. He said the UP department is putting in a lot of time and effort into program.

“There probably won’t be that many facutly and staff (using the service) anyway,” Kessler said.

Cassman also said the service was approved by Student Affairs.

The board also approved a motion to allow Cassman and board member Dave Pack to become back-up drivers for the service and allow them to be paid even though they are board members. Cassman said he opposed being paid.

Graduate Assistant Mary Hermsen recommended Pack and Cassman be paid.

Pack said driving the vehicle will allow he and Cassman to supervise the service and check on its progress.

Cassman said, “Capt. Webster said if we want to monitor it, we should be there.”