Last b-ball game draws 2,363 fans

By Marianne Renner

NIU Night brought 2,363 Huskie fans to the last men’s basketball game of the season Monday night at Chick Evans Field House, where four senior players were recognized, a $200 raffle prize was issued and a 300-man card section cheered for the team.

Student Association Sen. Joe Annunzio said he organized NIU Night in an effort to bring about more student participation in athletic events. He said his attendance goal was 3,000. “Attendance has been down, and I thought this would be a good idea to bring it up,” he said.

Although that goal was not reached, attendance was its second highest of the season. The highest was 3,888 Jan. 23. The fieldhouse seats 6,067.

Seniors Mike Grabner, Rodney Davis, Randy Norman and John Culbertson received plaques prior to the game for their four-year contributions to the team.

The NIU Huskie Band played the Huskie fight song as the card section attempted to spell words with red and black cards. SA Sen. Risa Newman organized the card section and said the cards originally were supposed to have messages such as “NIU” and “Hi Mom.” However, she said the cards were tossed around and mixed up, making it impossible for students to offer the crowd messages.

Because students could not spell words with the colored cards, some of them wore them on their heads and used them as arm-bands.

“There are about 300 (students in the card section), and that is about what I expected,” Newman said. She said she handed out 400 and was handed back about 100 of them. Annunzio said he wanted a 500-man card section.

OPRA members saturated the crowd and wore their red fire engine hats. OPRA member Jim Bieniek said the hats were sold throughout the season to fans as part of a $200 raffle. He said each hat had a number and every time an owner of a hat attended a game, he would have another shot at the raffle.

Raffle winner and OPRA member, Kris Hanson, 1325 W. Lincoln Hwy. said she joined OPRA this year and, after purchasing a hat, has attended almost all home games.

Bieniek said Hanson’s name was drawn from a total of 344 entries.

OPRA members stirred excitement in the crowd, tossing Old Style buttons and plastic beer mugs into the stands. Bieniek said OPRA also will give away free items at the women’s basketball game Wednesday night, including pens, buttons, gloves and mugs.

Bieniek said OPRA’s purpose at athletic events is to offer team support and promote crowd enthusiasm.

One member said the organization originated as a group of students who always showed up at the games wearing fire hats. The group kept growing in size and rowdiness. At first they gave the hats away but later began selling them.

“They want people to keep coming to the games wearing the hats,” she said.

NIU President John LaTourette spoke at halftime and commended the basketball team, the four seniors, the band and the cheerleaders.

Other halftime activities included presentations from the NIU Silverettes and the Color Guard.