Senate angered by Star policies

By Christine Boike

The Student Association senate Sunday passed a resolution against The Northern Star’s endorsements for SA executive election candidates.

SA Sen. Aaron Burke said, “I move that this body pass a resolution that we do not approve of The Northern Star’s policy of endorsing candidates for SA elections.

“I want the candidates to be at an equal setting for this election,” Burke said.

He said the “endorsement policy puts some candidates at an unfair disadvantage. The candidates spend enormous time, energy and money explaining their platforms and increasing their name recognition.

“The Star’s endorsements were decided by only three students—(editor) Dave Duschene, (managing editor) Mike Solley and (editorial editor) Regina Harris.”

Duschene said endorsements are always made at the discretion of the editorial board. “That’s our policy.”

SA President Jim Fischer said, “I totally disagree with the resolution. It contradicts what the SA should support—the students expressing themselves.”

SA Vice President Cam Davis said, “I don’t think it holds any water.” He said this would be something that just appeared in the minutes of the meeting.

“It is their right as a student newspaper to say what they feel is appropriate to print,” Davis said. “This resolution is going to make no difference.”

Senate Speaker Tom Zur said, “The Star writes editorials based on second-hand information. Editors have abused their power and position.”

Zur said the Star “politically slants” some things the candidates say. “If we feel they are being unduly biased, we need to make a statement,” he said.

SA Sen. Dave Stern said the senate is “looking like a bunch of crybabies” because they do not approve of what the Star is saying about them.

The senate approved the resolution. Davis said he will ask the SA Supreme Court today to declare the resolution unconstitutional because the senate has no right to interfere with the right to express opinion.

In his report, Zur said, “The Star’s coverage is disgustingly biased. Is it because Star reporters and editors are hoping to get a job with the National Enquirer?”

He said reporters should focus more positively on the SA.

Zur said reporters constantly misquote in stories. He referred to a March 8 commentary. He said Julia Stege was the only source.

SA Sen. Anne Rapp asked, “Do we have the right to censor the Star?”

SA Sen. Tana Titre said, “I don’t think we have the right or the power to censor.”

Titre said several senators are against the proposal. “The SA does not have the right to censor what other organizations say.”