Higher ed. funding campaign begins

By Suzanne Tomse

NIU administrators and other members of the university community have launched a campaign to influence the citizens of Illinois and legislators about the need for a tax hike to fund higher education.

“We’re gearing up for a big push (for a tax increase) in April and May,” NIU President John LaTourette said. “We want to mobilize the whole campus. We want staff, faculty, parents, students and alumni to get involved.” he said.

LaTourette said part of the campaign includes a letter which was sent to parents of all NIU students informing them about the budget situation facing Illinois’ higher education system for fiscal 1989. In addition, the letter urges parents to persuade legislators to approve a tax increase.

He said for the state to provide necessary funding for higher, secondary, and elementary education; and other programs such as welfare and mental health, the tax rate needs to be raised from 2.5 percent to 3.5 percent.

LaTourette said students and parents should go to visit their hometown representatives and senators in person to convince them to raise taxes. He said the most effective persuasive technique is a personal visit to the legislators, and the second most effective technique is a personal letter.

Illinois State University President Lloyd Watkins said at a Board of Regents committee meeting Wednesday, “If one-third of the students (at the Regency universities) would spend 25 cents and write a letter to the people who represent them, it would make a difference. I am suggesting it’s about time for students and parents to get their act together and do something,” he said.

Also, as part of the campaign, NIU administrators are asking faculty members to set aside some time on Day of Action II, April 13, to talk to students about the implications of the lack of state support for higher education, LaTourette said. He said students will be provided with information about a tax increase and how they can contact their legislators.

LaTourette said right now the campaign is focusing on sending the message to the public and will “hit legislative people later.” However, he said he and his assistant, Kenneth Beasley, already have been meeting with legislators.

Another component of the campaign is an advertisement to inform the public about the situation and where they can write their legislators or obtain more information, LaTourette said.

He said also NIU’s Task Force on Education Quality will meet today to develop additional campaign activities.