Hike might be ‘unavoidable’

By Suzanne Tomse

Although NIU Student Regent Nick Valadez will ask the Board of Regents Wednesday not to raise tuition next year, NIU President John LaTourette said an increase might be “unavoidable.”

LaTourette said if Gov. James Thompson’s budget allocations for fiscal year 1989 are approved by the Illinois General Assembly, NIU will be considering another tuition increase of about 10 percent.

LaTourette said a tuition increase is a “rip-off” to students because the revenues might be diverted to other areas such as the faculty retirement system and financial aid programs.

“The gain (from tuition increases) is going to be wiped out and directed to other uses,” LaTourette said. He said although Thompson did not recommend any cuts in the state’s higher education budget, he did increase the costs of some state-mandated programs such as the faculty retirement system.

Valadez said he will present a request to the Facilities and Finance Committee of the Regents to “hold the line on tuition” for next year or not to raise it beyond what is needed to account for inflation. “The idea is that although it is early to say if a tuition increase will be needed, we want a philosophical statement from the board … we want the board to take a stand,” he said.

Regents Chancellor Roderick Groves said, “I think the board members will feel it is unwise to take a position at this time.” I think we (the Regents) have to keep our options open.”

Valadez said if the board takes a stand on the tuition issue he hopes the “legislators will get the message.” He said this year’s $150 tuition increase was “arbitrary” and “basically spent to fill the budgetary gap. Students got nothing,” he said.

“Tuition keeps going up, students keep asking why and they don’t have any reason for it,” Valadez said. “That is not the way an institution should run,” he said.

Valadez said he first was going to ask the board for a tuition re-evaluation and a rollback for next year. However, he said a tuition rollback “is not going to be possible” in lieu of the budget situation.

LaTourette said he would like to see the tuition rolled back but did not see any way it could be possible unless there was a significant increase in the budget.

Groves said he recommends the tuition increase not be reversed because if Thompson’s budget recommendations are approved, the situation for higher education will be “worse.” He said it is “premature” for the Regents to take on stand on whether or not to raise tuition until the legislature meets.