Credit to be earned at weekend get-a-way

By Stephanie Bradley

Students can receive credit for winter activity classes which will be held at NIU’s field campus the weekend of Feb. 19-21.

The weekend, entitled “Season of Serendipity,” is at the Lorado Taft Field Campus in Oregon, Ill., about 35 miles west of DeKalb. While students can receive college credit, the weekend also is open to all individuals at least 15 years of age who enjoy winter activities.

After arriving at the campus at about 6 p.m. Friday, participants will be able to sign up for a number of activities which include cross country skiing, survival skills, winter photography and snowshoeing, Don Terry, co-chairman of the event, said.

Al Penninger, a graduate assistant in charge of registration, said nighttime/indoor activities will include a fiddler who formerly performed with the Grand Ole Opry, a professional clown who will demonstrate the art of clowning and a professional storyteller who travels around the country.

Participants are encouraged to sign up ahead of time so event coordinators know how many supplies are needed. About 30 of the 60 available reservations have been filled, Penninger said.

Participants must supply their own transportation to the campus and must supply their own ski equipment if they intend to go cross country skiing, Terry said. Participants also must bring their own sleeping bag.

Many students probably are not aware that NIU has a field campus, Terry said. “NIU acquired the land in the early 1950s, and established a teacher training program in 1954, which is the primary use of the campus today. It added a graduate program in 1962-63,” he said.

The cost of the weekend varies, Terry said. If individuals are participating for NIU credit, undergraduates pay $61 if they live within the state and $183 if they live out of state.

Graduates pay $62 in-state and $186 out-of-state. Those who are not participating for credit pay $38.65 if they do not plan to stay overnight (the fee includes lunch and dinner) and overnight guests pay $54, Terry said. The weekend ends noon Sunday.