SAMTB revising busline ID policy

By Dina Paluzzi

Revisions for a proposed busing identification and pass policy were made by the Student Association Mass Transit Board Monday, and the policy will be voted on at the Feb. 29 board meeting.

It is stated in the proposed policy all passengers on Huskie Buses are required to show an NIU student identification card, a bus pass or pay a 50-cent fare. The rule applies to all routes except weekday three and four routes.

Revisions were made so that students, during the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters, are not required to show an NIU ID, a bus pass or pay a 50 cent fare. It was stated in the first draft the restrictions apply for the first two weeks of the fall semester and for the first week of the second semester.

Student class schedules will not be accepted in lieu of a student ID. Board member Chris Schlake, also an SA senator, asked if a drivers license and a class schedule could be accepted in lieu of a student ID. However, Board Vice Chairman Dave Emerick said, “Student IDs show you (riders) are fee-paying students.”

Students will not be required to show a current validation sticker when boarding the buses due to the delays in distribution of the stickers.

The board accepted a motion by board member Dave Pack who suggested the policy state boarders must show an NIU student ID, a bus pass or pay a 50-cent fare, or they will be asked to leave the bus.

In other business, the board offered to support painting Huskie buses NIU school colors, which are cardinal red and black.

The board approved the motion for the Huskie busline to begin the process of painting the buses, which will last two to three years.

Huskie Busline General Manager Charlie Battista said NIU will not be charged for the painting unless the design is so detailed it will take more time than what normal painting procedures entail.

Pack suggested the painting “go with current design” and to change the colors of the stripes already on the buses.

The board also changed parts of the bus advertising contract to allow the board to make more money from the contract. This year’s contract with the Institute for Excellence in Selling states the board receives 60 percent of income from advertising on the outside of the buses, while IES receives 40 percent.

From inside ads the board and IES each receive 50 percent of the profits. The board approved to increase their share of the profits on indoor advertising to 60 percent.

Bus surveys to assist the board in deciding which routes are used most frequently were distributed to 500 off-campus students Feb. 19. Board member Mary Hermsen said almost one-half of the surveys were sent to off-campus students who live outside of DeKalb.

Hermsen said 500 on-campus surveys will be sent out Feb. 24.