Career night informs undecided of majors

By Christine Boike

Freshmen and sophomores who have not yet decided on a major can attend Freshman-Sophomore Career Night for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium at 7 p.m. tonight.

Assistant Academic Affairs Adviser JoEllen Simpson said the purpose of career night is “to talk to undecided students about possible majors and careers they can pursue through these majors.”

First-year graduate students and seniors from each of the 18 departments in the College of LA&S will be available to speak to individuals about their respective departments, Simpson said. LA&S wants to feature students who “know the department,” she said.

Simpson added career trees will be available. These trees list possible positions available to students after graduation. She said the trees provide “obscure” possibilities that some people would not think of right away.

This is the first semester for a Freshman-Sophomore Career night at NIU and about 200 students are predicted to attend, Simpson said.

She said this is “just a trial” but it will be a yearly event at NIU from now on. It will be a “real benefit to the students that are undecided.”

LA&S Acting Dean Peter Nicholls said the program should be very beneficial to students. He said many students come to NIU without decisions on a major.

He said there will be a lot of opportunities for pursuing careers on career night, and he said he thinks it is a “good idea.”

Nicholls said, “Some of the disciplines they might not be exposed to in high school” will be provided for them.

He said they will be “exposed to some new fields,” and they should keep their options open because it is a little early to make “firm decisions.”