New decision might affect visitor parking exemptions

By Susie Snyder

NIU visitors, now exempt from certain parking citations, might have to pay for their violations.

Campus Parking Manager Lynn Fraser said she will bring up the issue of visitor parking abuses for consideration at the regular Campus Parking Committee meeting today at 1:30 p.m.

Clauses or information printed on campus parking tickets indicate visitors are not responsible for the number one (no NIU registration) or number two (permit not valid for lot) violations, she said.

But some visitors, who might be previous students, continually violate the first two citations, Fraser said. “To me, these people are not considered visitors,” she said.

Fraser said she would like to force continual violators to pay their citations or cut down on the number of times the citations can be freely violated.

Fraser said she also will ask the committee to consider the Walk/Bus zone—the area listed in NIU’s Complete Parking Regulations, which determines the color of a student’s parking ticket and whether or not a student is considered to be a commuting student.

She said she will ask for verification on the dimensions of the area and for clarification of the area’s definite boundaries.

Fraser said she also will ask the committee to consider the installation of police call boxes or bus shelters on certain outlined parking lots on the extreme outskirts of NIU’s campus.

“The call boxes are a direct line to the police station, to be used in case of an emergency—whatever it may be,” she said.