$86,690 in budgets await final OK

By Sandi Patyk

More than $87,690 for the Office of Campus Recreation and club sports’ budgets was recommended Saturday by the Student Association Finance Committee.

All budgets must receive final approval from the SA Senate.

OCR’s request totaled more than $68,800 after subtracting $93,000 in generated revenue and money carried over from last year.

The OCR budget is divided into six categories: office operating, creative art center, fitness, outdoor, rec sports and open recreation.

The largest category is open recreation, which includes student employees and equipment. The request for student employee salaries is $15,000 more than last year’s request because of the opening of Gabel Hall Pool, OCR coordinator Denise Thompson said. She said more lifeguards will be needed.

The outdoor request, totaling more than $27,900, includes ski and canoe trips and camping equipment. Thompson said new equipment is needed because it is used frequently. “All the equipment is checked out every weekend during camping season. Christmas break is the only time OCR doesn’t rent the equipment out.”

The committee cut the equipment request by $1,200. None of the supplies were zero funded. Brian Kean, committee member and SA Sen. said, “It would be better to reduce a few items than to zero fund entire requests.”

Eight club sports’ budgets totaling more than $18,860 were approved by the finance committee. Two budgets were tabled.

The LaCrosse Club budget was tabled until next week because the new president could not account for the club’s dues. Finance Committee Chairman Todd Lipscomb said organizations must submit a revenue statement with the budget.

The committee tabled the Bowling Club budget pending an investigation of the club’s try-out and tournament policies. Committee member Michael Fellenzer said the club’s policy of letting only the top-scoring bowlers play was exclusionary.

The SA does not fund club sports that require try-outs or do not let all the members participate. Thompson said the OCR would investigate the club’s policies.

The committee approved more than $7,600 for the Hockey Club. Club President Len Edling said most of the money is spent on ice rink rental. “We play games and practice in Rockford at Riverview Ice House. We also have to pay salaries for the officials and a league fee.”

Fellenzer motioned to add $600 to the club’s revenue total of $400. “It is possible the club will be able to collect part of the money from ticket sales. If they can’t make that much the club can get supplemental funding.”