Man, 18, arrested for sexual abuse

By Marianne Renner

Alfred MacDonald, 18, was arrested for the criminal sexual abuse of an NIU student Sunday, after entering her residence hall room, police report.

MacDonald, 480 Crestwood Drive, Des Plaines, is not an NIU student.

University Police said the victim reported letting MacDonald into her room after he knocked on the door about 3 a.m. She told police she opened her door for him, thinking MacDonald was her friend. Police said MacDonald asked if he awakened the victim and then proceeded to sexually abuse her.

The University Police said they responded to a disorderly conduct call in the residence hall. UP Lt. Ron Williams said MacDonald told police he was in the residence hall looking for a friend. Williams said MacDonald “was asked to leave the floor and an argument resulted.”

Williams said MacDonald never signed in through the residence hall policy which requires a visitor to be signed in at the lobby desk by a resident.

Police said the victim approached them and told them about the incident. She said MacDonald left her room when she asked him to.

MacDonald was released after posting a $100 bond and a preliminary hearing is set for February 26.

“If he pleads not guilty, another hearing date will be set and the officer and victim will be called as witnesses on behalf of the state,” Williams said.

Jon Dalton, vice president for student affairs, said when a sexual assault occurs on campus, a certain response system takes place through various university offices.

“The university health services, counseling center and judicial office are notified to assist the victim,” he said. If the subject is a student, “the judicial office would talk to the victim to find out if she wishes to file a complaint,” Dalton said.

In a case where the subject is not an NIU student, the victim must deal with the criminal system, not the university judicial office, if she wishes to take action, Dalton said.