CSAB chair resigns; Rogers fills post

By Marianne Renner

Several canceled meetings and disagreements prompted the resignation of the Campus Security Advisory Board Chairman and the naming of a new acting chairman.

The resignation of Donald Schoo took effect Jan. 25 when he sent a memo to committee members appointing student member Tom Rogers as temporary chairman.

Last semester many board members were displeased by what they perceived as a lack of meetings. Schoo said he did schedule several meetings that were either low in attendance or had to be canceled.

Earlier talk of abolishing the committee has turned in a new direction. Student committee member Joe Annunzio said the board will plan a meeting next week, and members will choose a permanent chairman.

“I am almost 100 percent positive he (Rogers) will remain the chairman,” Annunzio said. The election will be the first thing on the agenda, he said.

Rogers said while he is optimistic about the committee, he does not want the permanent seat of chairman. He said he only plans to serve as chairman for about one month. “I would like to see either a faculty member or a student who will be here for a while serve as chairman,” he said.

He would like a student to serve as chairman who will be able to remain in that position for a longer period of time than he would be able to, he said. “I have other commitments next year. I’m not trying to unload the responsibility on someone else, I just want someone who can keep this thing going,” he said.

Rogers said some goals planned are more marketing studies conducted on various issues and regular meetings. “I would like to meet every month or every other week to discuss the racism issue,” he said.

Another issue Rogers would like to discuss is how a possible ride service will affect security.

Annunzio said the committee wanted a new chairman last semester and would have liked a student chairman. He said the committee is glad to have Tom Rogers as chairman.