Parking committees search for solutions

By Christine Boike

Three NIU parking committees are searching for solutions in dealing with the parking problems on campus.

The Campus Parking Committee, in existence at NIU for more than 15 years, is a long-term advisory committee, said committee member Kenneth Bowden.

William Parker, also a member, said the committee “deals with ongoing options of the parking program.”

The campus committee has not always seen eye-to-eye with the administration about parking issues and not all of the committee’s recommendations have been accepted, Bowden said.

About two years ago, the administration had come to the Campus Parking Committee and requested a raise in rates for those who wanted to obtain parking permits.

The request was reasonable, Bowden said, but the committee refused to increase permit rates unless the administration met two requests.

First, the committee requested the administration’s assurance that the money from the increase would be applied directly to improving parking problems, he said.

Secondly, the committee requested most of the money from the increase to go toward parking issues instead of salaries for the building and grounds workers who maintain the lots.

Bowden said the administration would not give assurance. The committee then refused to vote for the administration’s proposed increase in the cost of parking permits.

In the spring of 1987, NIU President John LaTourette agreed to the requests and also formed the Ad Hoc Administrative Parking Committee. Bowden said it was formed to “create a ‘bible’ parking plan with a source of revenue to support it.”

He said the administrative committee is looking for a short-term parking solution and should not be in existence much beyond next summer or fall.

Next year, the committee will more than double the price of red parking stickers which prohibit all vehicles but the permit owner’s from parking in a particular space.

This year, a red sticker can be purchased for $125 and a space can be reserved for a time slot between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on weekdays. For $150 the spot can be purchased for 24 hours a day, seven days a week, Bowden said.

Next year, the administrative committee wants to discourage use of red spaces since it prevents others from using them, Bowden said. This way the spaces can be “better utilized.”

Parker, also administrative parking committee chairman, said the committee looks at information and complaints about the parking program, and then develops a set of recommendations which would comprise a new parking plan.

He said there is a need for additional parking spaces and creation of lots where none exist. Along with the recommendation for expanded parking on campus, Parker said the committee wants an increase in parking revenue.

He said the committee thought it was inappropriate for the existing parking lots to be off-limits to students until after 5:30 p.m. or, in some cases, after 7 p.m.

To “serve commuting students better” the blue, circled lots have been opened to students after 4 p.m.

The Student Association created the SA Ad Hoc Parking Committee in December, 1987, to study the structure of parking committees, Paula Radtke, co-chairman of the committee, said.

It also was formed because the “administration was trying to take away student parking,” Co-chairman Dave Stern said.

The committee is open to anyone who is on the senate and would like to encourage the students to get involved, Radtke said.

The committee’s long-term parking solution involves the building of a parking garage. The administration is reluctant to accept the parking garage solution because they believe the money can be used elsewhere, she said.