Two college students die in accident

By Marianne Renner

Two college students died in Crestwood, Illinois, and one was critically injured Saturday when their car swerved into a semi truck.

Kishwaukee Community College student, Paul Kubski, 21, 807 W. Taylor Street, was driving and was pronounced dead on the scene, Crestwood Police Chief Tom Scully said. Kubski was thrown from the vehicle after the car swerved over the center line of the road and struck the rear left tire of the semi traveling in the opposite direction.

NIU student Robert Alsot, 21, 807 W. Taylor Street, was sitting in the front seat and was thrown through the windshield. Scully said he landed on the engine of the car. Alsot was pronounced dead at St. Francis Hospital in Blue Island, Ill., at about 12 p.m.

Another NIU student, Mark Ceranec, 21, was hurled through the windshield from the back seat of the vehicle and was critically injured. Scully said Ceranec was transferred today from St. Francis Hospital to intensive care at Hinsdale Community Hospital.

Scully said Ceranec “will recover. He has a broken hip, a broken leg and possibly some kidney damage.”

The car was traveling south on Kostner Road, and the semi was traveling north, Scully said. The accident occurred at about 4 a.m. at the intersection of 135th St. and Kostner Road, which had a traffic light.

Scully said the car was traveling at about 60 to 70 mph in a 35 mph zone. He said he suspected all of the passengers were drinking because of the empty beer bottles in the car and street.

The semi truck driver, Theodore Fenn, was transported to Palos Hospital in Palos Heights and treated for neck injuries, Scully said.