Greeks to sponsor workshop for new pledges

By Tanya Myles

Interfraternity and Panhellenic Councils will sponsor their first workshop for new greek members Saturday in the Holmes Student Center.

Campus and national speakers who will be in attendance include Elliott Lessen, faculty adviser of Lambda Chi Alpha and Pi Kappa Alpha; Fred Yoder, of Sigma Chi headquarters; Mary Peterson, greek adviser at the University of Iowa and Anthony Fusaro, chapter and faculty adviser of Phi Sigma Kappa.

Lessen will speak about scholarships.

“The title ‘scholarship’ does not mean financial scholarship. It is scholarship in terms of being a student and for initiates on how to be a student,” Lessen said.

Fusaro will speak about the responsiblities of fraternal membership.

Peterson, a representative from the University of Iowa greek system, will present a discussion entitled “Stress, Substance Abuse, and Sexual Assault.” Other topics to be addressed include “Hazing and Pledge/Associate Member Education.”

Jeff DePasse, former chairman of Pi Kappa Alpha said, “We want to give new greeks a better understanding of greek life.

“We want to give them a new perspective on topics such as hazing, because many don’t know what hazing is,” DePasse said.

Jeff Cufaude, greek adviser for University Programming and Activities said, “The reason we’re including hazing as one of the topics is that many new members come in thinking they have to go through rites of passage.”

Cufaude is working with the University Judicial Boards to investigate incidents of hazing.

Megan Sullivan, co-chairman of the greek workshop committee and also a member of Delta Zeta sorority, said the workshop is something needed on campus for some time.

“Although there hasn’t been a big problem with hazing and drugs at NIU, it’s something we need to concentrate on,” Sullivan said.

Janet Lester, a Delta Phi Epsilon pledge trainer, said, “I think it’s a good idea. There will be a lot of good speakers and it should prove to be worthwhile.”

Phi Kappa Sigma President Dave Reidy said, “I think the workshop is great, and we definitely support it.

“The pledges from our house need it, not because they’re pledges, but because they’re going through it,” Reidy said.

Sullivan said NIU fraternities and sororities were invited to the workshop.