Students will contend for 6 SA senate posts in Thursday elections

By Dina Paluzzi

Seventeen students are running in the Student Association senate elections Thursday, in which one on-campus position and five off-campus positions will be decided.

There are three students running for on-campus positions.

Risa Newman said students need to have a say in fee increases, funding and the Holmes Student Center. Aaron Burke said he is concerned about the parking shortage and higher education funding.

Richard Sypniewski did not complete a Star questionnaire.

There are fourteen candidates running for off-campus positions.

Gregg Bliss wants to observe the budgeting process and gain the experience necessary to deal with this year’s major issues. Lisa Calhoun wants to address the issues with the recreational sports program, the WKDI proposal and parking. “I also would like to see more money from the budget going toward the greek system.”

Robert Chernesky wants to develop a brochure to aid incoming students in their transition to NIU and to continue promoting a positive image of the Greek Row area. Sheri DeLuca said the book-buying policy and the shortage of effective counseling need to be addressed.

Halina Jagiello wants to address the issues of the WKDI newswire, state funding and parking. Victor Ligocki wants to help keep the street project on Greek Row going. “I also would like to help plan and inform the student body of all tuition and fee hikes planned.”

John Paul plans to address the SA budget process and concerns over student fees. Huda Scheidelman said, “Specific issues I would like to deal with are meeting the students’ desires at (recreation center).”

Christopher Schlake said, “I often question the allocation of funds and hope to provide some insightful input.” James Valentine said, “I would like to see a reduction of red tape on campus. The students should be the primary concern of the faculty and staff at NIU.”

Connie Veremis wants to address the issues of budget cuts, tuition and Day of Action II. Marian Zykan wants to address the issues of tuition hikes, minority problems and greek unity.

Tom Rogers and Randy Thompson did not complete a Star questionnaire.

Voting polls will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. near the Pow-Wow Room.