Feb. Greek Week promoted as ‘fun’

By Christine Boike

Greeks this year will try to de-emphasize the competitive edge of previous Greek Weeks and promote it as a “fun week,” said Stacy Smith, co-chairman of the Greek Week Committee.

Greek Week, Feb. 21 through 27, will be “A Look Into the Future” for NIU greeks this year and will involve an activity almost every night.

Co-chairman Jim Valentine said there will be some competitive events, but greek members will not be required to attend as they have in past years. Valentine said the goal of this plan is to get greeks to want to come to the events instead of being required to attend. He said, “We’ve got to make the events worthwhile.”

The philanthropy for Greek Week 1988 is an invitation to all NIU students to compete in “the World’s Largest Twister Contest,” Smith said. A $15 entry fee from each two-person team in the contest will be donated to the United Way of DeKalb. In addition, spectators will be charged a 50-cent admission fee which will be donated to the not-for-profit organization.

Quentin Ostrowski, the philanthropy chairman for the event, said, “I want the whole campus to participate.” Ostrowski’s goal is $5,000.

Ostrwoski said the United Way of DeKalb serves more than 20 human service agencies such as American Red Cross, DeKalb Youth Baseball, American Youth Soccer, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, the Girl Scout Council and DeKalb Boy Scouts.

The event will be held in the Chick Evans Field House at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 25.

Applications, entry forms and rules can be picked up in the university programming and activities office on the sixth floor of the Holmes Student Center. The deadline for entry is Feb. 8. Prizes will be awarded to first-, second- and third-place winners.

Milton Bradley has donated 25 Twister mats and two complete Twister games for the event.

WDEK-FM radio station will supply a disk jockey to emcee and also will help to advertise the event. Competitive Edge Screenprinting, 1023 Hillcrest Ave., will supply t-shirts for participants, and George’s Printing Technology, 128 S. 2nd St., will supply 100 posters to be distributed on campus and in local businesses for promotion of the event.

Other activities during Greek Week 1988 will include:

Sunday, Feb. 21: Greek Sing in the Duke Ellington Ballroom at 3 p.m. which will feature sororities and fraternities putting on acts with music and singing. The winning act will receive a trophy.

Monday, Feb. 22: Faculty Reception—nominated faculty members will be recognized and invited to dine with the house which nominated them.

Tuesday, Feb. 23: Hypnotist Jim Wand will appear in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium for entertainment.

Wednesday, Feb. 24: All-Greek Talent Show in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium at 7 p.m. which will include any greek member wanting to perform.

Saturday, Feb. 27: Greek Social in the Duke Ellington Ballroom featuring Mr. Meyers, a reggae band, and refreshments at the event.