Need will determine advisory board’s fate

By Marianne Renner

The Campus Security Advisory Board might be abolished if the board’s members determine there is no use for it.

Board member Julie Stege, also the Student Association welfare advisor, said one topic of the next meeting will be whether to choose a new chairman or abolish the committee. “The (current) chairman has been there three or four years and it’s about time for a new one,” she said. On the other hand, the committee may be dissolved because of lack of need.

“We’ll have to discuss whether it’s worth while,” Stege said.

Last semester, many board members were displeased by the alleged lack of meetings called by Chairman Donald Schoo.

Board member James Thomas said the committee is an “old boy network” run by Schoo and, as the committee now stands, should be abolished. He said he has been a member for about 1uu years and, other than two meetings last semester, has not been informed of the scheduled meetings. “The point is, the CSAB seems to be a sham,” he said.

Schoo could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

An early December meeting was cancelled because of a lack of agenda. “They had a lot to discuss,” Thomas said. “I don’t know why they cancelled it.”

Thomas said he has either been informed of meetings after they were cancelled or he was not informed at all.

He said the committee has a “take no business, do no business attitude.” Thomas stressed the importance of meetings and said the committee “should have a meeting by the end of this month if they have any integrity.”

An earlier story reports some board members would like a new chairman and would like that chairman to be a student.

The committee’s scope includes discussion of extra police patrols to decrease sexual assaults and other campus security issues.