Forum to be held on racism, organizations

By Nancy Broten

Students and faculty members will tackle the topic of whether NIU’s minority organizations contribute to or help solve the problems of racism in a forum tonight in the Holmes Student Center Diversions room.

The Student Association minority relations committee was prompted to create a forum after a letter appeared in The Northern Star stating a negative reaction to minority organizations, SA minority relations adviser Larry Robertson said.

Those who believe minority organizations contribute to racism and discrimination will be represented by Mark Brierton, Mark Elkins and Nora Schattke.

Schattke said she is the person who prompted the creation of the forum with her letter to The Northern Star. Schattke said she agreed to participate in the forum because she feels the titles of minority organizations are misleading.

Taking the pro-organization side will be Marilyn Monteiro, Affirmative Action director; Rick Munoz, president of the Organization of Latin American Students and Jeff Gordon.

Monteiro said she does not think there is a dominant viewpoint at NIU about minority organizations. “There are basically some who support them (minority organizations) and some who don’t,” she said.

SA minority relations committee member Thomas Gary, who is planning the forum, said the individuals will state their viewpoints and discuss them. Finally, the audience will be able to participate in the discussion, he said.

Monteiro said she hopes to get a sense of the viewpoints which exist about minority organizations at NIU and give a response based on her experience at other universities.