Dalton to review tailgating survey results

By Sandi Patyk

Jon Dalton, NIU vice president for student affairs, will meet with five NIU marketing students Monday to review the results of the students’ tailgating surveys.

NIU marketing instructor Bob Goering started the surveys as a project for his Marketing Research 443 class. He halted all projects in early November after one of the surveys was questioned. Student Cara Zonka said Goering allowed her group to continue its project because Dalton wanted to see the results.

“We are not meeting with Dalton as a research group. We decided to continue with the project because we are concerned about the issue,” Zonka said.

She said the group will give Dalton the survey results along with the their members’ recommendations.

Dalton said NIU might use the results to form a tailgating policy. Discussion about tailgating started after this season’s first home football game. Several people were injured in a corncob fight that occured during the tailgate.

Dalton said, “The administration needs to formulate a workable policy for all the students. The more input we can get from the people who are affected, the better the policy will be.”

Dalton said he wanted to work with the group because he could not meet with every student. “The research group has more manpower to gather the information,” he said.

Zonka said students, faculty, alumni, DeKalb residents, University Police and NIU football players were surveyed. The survey asked whether they attended the first tailgate and game, whether they think tailgating should continue, and their age.

The survey also listed 13 tailgate restrictions and asked those surveyed to comment on the restrictions.

The students will not discuss the results of the surveys until they meet with Dalton. However, they said one focus of the survey was to find out how many people attend the game after tailgating.