SA guest to speak on voting

By Nancy Broten

In view of the upcoming election year, the Student Association senate will welcome a guest speaker Sunday who will give a presentation on voter registration.

DeKalb County Clerk Terry Desmond will speak on the need to make students aware of the importance of voting and the election process.

Information about the “$1 per student per year” referendum will be presented by SA President Jim Fischer in his report. The referendum is an effort by universities across the state to raise revenue for the Illinois Student Association.

The ISA is in need of money to create a Springfield office and staff that would allow the ISA to accomplish more.

In other business, the senate will vote on a $5,000 budget request from WKDI to contract for the use of a United Press International wire machine. The SA finance committee Wednesday approved the request; however, the senate must also approve the request before WKDI can enter into the contract this spring.

Also, SA Vice President Cam Davis will announce spring election information. Due to senator resignations four off-campus seats are empty, although Davis said there could be other resignations before the end of the semester.

Interested students who live off campus can pick up senate application packets Monday in the SA office located on the second floor of the Holmes Student Center. Applications are due Jan. 27 and elections will be held in the first week of February.